This three-movement suite for brass sextet by James Curnow was commissioned by the High Bridge Brass of Asbury University, Kentucky. The première performance took place during the Great American Brass Band Festival, Danville, KY, 2018.
To listen to a recording of High Bridge Brass performing the work please visit:
- Haste To The Wedding (Jig) – https://soundcloud.com/user-565396545/appalachian-fiddle-tunes-mvt-1
- Cherry Tree (Air) – https://soundcloud.com/user-565396545/appalachian-fiddle-tunes-mvt-2
- Soldier’s Joy (Breakdown) – https://soundcloud.com/user-565396545/appalachian-fiddle-tunes-mvt-3
(Recording courtesy of Clark Media Productions)
The original scoring of this piece was intended for Conical Brass Sextet (i.e. Cornets, Flugel Horn, Eb Tenor Horn, Bb Euphonium, Tuba). To accommodate other ensembles, additional parts are included as follows:
- Part 1 – Bb Cornet or Trumpet
- Part 2 – Bb Cornet or Trumpet (optional doubling on Piccolo Trumpet*), part for Eb Soprano Cornet included
- Part 3 – Bb Cornet or Trumpet (optional doubling on Flugel Horn)
- Part 4 – Eb Tenor Horn (optional F Horn part included)
- Part 5 – Bb Euphonium (optional Trombone), parts in B.C. and T.C. included
- Part 6 – Tuba – Parts in B.C., T.C. or for Eb Tuba T.C. included
All three Cornet/Trumpet parts are written as to be of equal difficulty with perhaps the exception of the Cornet 2 part doubling on Piccolo Trumpet.
*Piccolo Trumpet parts can be performed on the Cornet or Trumpet, which sound an octave lower, but works equally as well in this range.